Jul 15, 2007

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Mockingbirds

Okay, so I don't have seven. But I read a local news story recently that got me to thinking about mockingbirds.

The story was about a person who was dive-bombed several times by a feisty mockingbird while walking a short distance outdoors (downtown, even). Why did this happen? It used to happen to me, too, all summer long in the back yard. When the weather was good, my Mom would hang clothes out to dry, to save on energy costs (not to mention to get that free, natural scent in the fresh laundry). As one would be heading to and from the clotheslines, mockingbirds would loudly squawk and rather fiercely attack. Most of their attention went to whatever cat we had at the time, but they were known to peck and scratch a person's head. All they were doing, like the one downtown, was protecting their nests. With a vengeance.

Another thing about mockingbirds is that they learn to mimic whatever other birds they're around. I remember that in springtime, the ones just returning from more tropical climes had some exotic notes in their call, which would slowly fade to the more indigenous thrushes and warblers over the summer.

Fast forward to now, in Chattanooga: at least one mockingbird in the neighborhood has incorporated the unmistakable call of the Pileated Woodpecker, of which there is at least one pair in the area, into its nonstop medley. It drives me crazy, because I'll hear it and go running for the camera, only to then realize that it was the mockingbird's brief "cover" of the other creature's song. I do still see and hear the pileateds from time to time, and that's the good news.

Finally, mockingbirds are one of a few avian species that sings at night. I can be out at two in the morning (not a habit, but it happens), and hear one just rocking out into the darkness. That's one more reason to admire this amazing bird, which is the state bird of Tennessee (and of several other states).

No comments: